a career exploration and planning tool for the humanities and social sciences
ImaginePhD is a free online career exploration and planning tool for PhD students and postdoctoral scholars in the humanities and social sciences.
Humanities and social sciences PhD students and their mentors have long recognized the need for more resources to help bridge the knowledge gap between doctoral education and the realm of career possibilities. ImaginePhD is designed to meet this need by allowing users to:
Project Deliverables to date:
- assess their career-related skills, interests, and values
- explore careers paths appropriate to their disciplines
- create self-defined goals
- map out next steps for career and professional development success
Would you like to be a part of this exciting and nationally-recognized effort? Consider joining one of our new or existing subcommittees:
Content and Resource Development Subcommittee
- Formation of nation-wide ad hoc committee under the auspices of the Graduate Career Consortium.
- Development of 16 “job families” to encompass many of the career possibilities for humanities and social sciences PhDs.
- Creation of skills, interests, and values assessments focusing on the needs of humanities and social sciences PhDs.
- Completion of experts’ survey to analyze the importance of the skills and interests in relationship to the 16 job families.
- Commencement of site production on October 15, 2016.
- Sponsorship development campaign resulting in funding of $175,000 to date with a goal of raising $200,000 in support website completion, continued project support, launch activities, future website development and ongoing costs.
- Development of marketing materials to promote project.
- Creation and curation of career resources.
- Pre-Launch for Sponsoring Institutions – October 9, 2017
- Site launch for all – October 23, 2017.
Develop and curate content around the 16 job families contained in ImaginePhD, including resources on career exploration, building job skills, networking, and applying.
Marketing and Social Media Subcommittee
Create a social media marketing campaign to promote ImaginePhD in conjunction with the GCC Communication and Outreach committee.
Develop guidelines for authorship, attribution, and conducting research using ImaginePhD. Develop a research agenda.
Sponsorship Development Subcommittee
A sponsorship development campaign was launched in 2016 and has already successfully raised $187,000. To continue this effort, contact is planned for additional institutions and organizations that have expressed interest in the project will proceed through spring 2018.
Curriculum Development Subcommittee – Currently At Capacity
Creates curriculum with learning outcomes for: student users; faculty members; trainers, professional societies, etc.
Sustainability Subcommittee – Currently At Capacity
Work with the GCC Executive Council to create and hone a sustainability plan that works with the GCC’s strategic plans and supports the ImaginePhD project.
User Experience Subcommittee – Currently At Capacity
Act as a feedback loop between potential users, tool designers and content creators to enhance usability, design, function, content and resources. Create platforms for stakeholder feedback, and communicate changes to the tool based on that feedback throughout the creation process.
If interested in participating, please contact ImaginePhD Project Lead, Teresa Dillinger firstname.lastname@example.org or express interest here.
Teresa Dillinger, ImaginePhD Project Lead
Sarah Peterson, Content Development Lead
Annie Maxfield, Product Development & Design Lead
The creators of the ImaginePhD project are members of an ad hoc committee under the auspices of the Graduate Career Consortium (GCC). Over 80 GCC members (representing 56 academic institutions and professional organizations) have contributed effort to this nationwide project.
Mike Matrone, GCC Executive Board President Elect
Additional funding is needed to build a personalized, dynamic, and interactive tool that benefits humanities and social science PhDs. Sponsorship is available at the following levels:
- Platinum: $20,000
- Gold: $10,000
- Silver: $5,000
- Bronze: $2,500
For additional information, please contact ImaginePhD project lead and ad hoc committee chair, Teresa Dillinger, email@example.com