a career exploration and planning tool for the humanities and social sciences
ImaginePhD is a free online tool that facilitates career exploration by inviting users to evaluate and reflect on their own skills, values and interests and to investigate related career opportunities. An equally important component of the tool is its goal setting application – My Plan, which enables the user to map out next steps in their PhD programs and for their career and professional development.
Project Deliverables to date:
Would you like to be a part of this exciting and nationally-recognized effort? Consider joining one of our new or existing subcommittees:
Curriculum Development Subcommittee
- Formation of nation-wide ad hoc committee under the auspices of the Graduate Career Consortium.
- Development of 16 “job families” to encompass many of the career possibilities for humanities and social sciences PhDs.
- Creation of skills, interests, and values assessments focusing on the needs of humanities and social sciences PhDs.
- Completion of experts’ survey to analyze the importance of the skills and interests in relationship to the 16 job families.
- Commencement of site production on October 15, 2016. Click here to view the site mock-up.
- Sponsorship development campaign resulting in funding of $175,000 to date with a goal of raising $200,000 in support website completion, continued project support, launch activities, future website development and ongoing costs.
- Development of marketing materials to promote project.
- Creation and curation of career resources.
- Scheduled site launch – October 2017.
Create curriculum with learning outcomes for: student users; faculty members; trainers, professional societies, etc.
Research, determine, and implement guidelines for authorship, attribution, and conducting research using ImaginePhD. Develop plan for conducting research and reporting with the tool.
Marketing and Social Media Subcommittee
Create a social media marketing campaign to promote ImaginePhD in conjunction with the GCC Communication and Outreach committee.
Work with the GCC Executive Council to create and hone a sustainability plan that works with the GCC’s strategic plans and supports the ImaginePhD project.
Sponsorship Development Subcommittee
A sponsorship development campaign was launched in 2016 and has already successfully raised $175,000. To continue this effort, contact is planned for additional institutions and organizations that have expressed interest in the project will proceed through the summer and fall of 2017. We are looking for a new chair to continue this successful effort.
Content Development Subcommittee
This subcommittee is in the process of developing and curating content for each of the 16 Job Families. Areas of content for each Job Family include career exploration stories and articles, skills building resources, connecting with professional organizations, and job board sites.
User Experience Subcommittee
This group conducts ongoing research to understand usability and design for different users. Committee members should have access to faculty, target PhD populations, and PhD career advisors. Experience or interest gaining experience with survey design, focus groups, and interviews.
If interested in participating, please contact ImaginePhD Project Lead, Teresa Dillinger firstname.lastname@example.org or express interest here.
Teresa Dillinger, ImaginePhD Project Lead
Sarah Peterson, Content Development Lead
Annie Maxfield, Product Development and Design Lead
The creators of the ImaginePhD project are members of an ad hoc committee under the auspices of the Graduate Career Consortium (GCC). Over 50 GCC members (representing 38 academic institutions and professional organizations) have contributed effort to this nationwide project.
Mike Matrone, GCC Executive Board Treasurer
Additional funding is needed to build a personalized, dynamic, and interactive tool that benefits humanities and social science PhDs. Sponsorship is available at the following levels:
- Platinum: $20,000
- Gold: $10,000
- Silver: $5,000
- Bronze: $2,500
For additional information, please contact ImaginePhD project lead and ad hoc committee chair, Teresa Dillinger, email@example.com, 530.752.7566